Fotrally 2013

Fotrally. One of the most spectacular thing I have ever tried... and I was totally wrong in my predictions and thoughts before the walk. After 11hours of walking in not to impressive 12min/k tempo I broke the race. I am not to sad about that. There is no idea at all to walk yourself into an injury. For the Fotrally you need to be very, very, well prepared.  I got a whole bunch of lessons to learn. Here are some of them;

1) Walking is not Running ! I don't move and touch the ground in the same way with my feets. I was a lot more stiff in my ancles than I should ever be if running the same distance. There is only one way here, I must practise "long walking" in a serious way...
2) My foot-pad (is that the right way to say it ? - bottom side of my foot) was a really disaaster already after 10 hours. Something tells me that my 2 pair of shoes that I used was far from optimal. Next time I will use sandals more frequently, and shift more often, but most imortant, go out and bye myself a real good pair of walking shoes, not running shoes....
3) Bring alternative low weight footware in your hand-luggage from the very first meter of the walk !!!
4) Practise the "Supportzone" equipment shift, everything must be done very easy and quick. Use a wide bag for supportmaterial.
5) My new running 8litres back-pack is so nice when running, but pure "shit" for this event.  A "waist-bag" will be my choise next time !!
6) Thin gloves and perhaps a little bit warmer dressed the first 6hours. The tempo is so slow that you can actually get cold in nighttime even in +12C.
7) Set a plan for how to use your 25 baja-maja minutes in the best way. You will need them, thats for sure.
8) Take a day off before this event, and sleep and rest the whole day before the start !
9) It's nice to have Cooffe in your supportzone bag, sooner or later you will be so f-ing tired ......
10) Always bring nurse-teip or compeed and something to puncture your blister when you sit in the Baja-maja..


This is a geat event, you will meet a lot of very unique persons out there, with only one thing in common. They are all 110% freaked out.... I'll be there again next year, I belong to them.

Finally my congrats to my proud neighbour Sven-Erik, who managed to beat his own record from last year with 1hour 45minutes :-) Very well done !!

http://fotrally.se/

L./.

Kommentarer

  1. Really crazy, but so tempting ! I followed this amazing race with big eyes. Maybe, maybe I'm in for next year. Thanks for sharing your lessons learned !

    SvaraRadera
  2. Wow! Looks like a cool event Mr. L!

    I'd love to hear more about how you felt during this race versus your twelve hour Personliga rekordens tävling last year.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hi Mr USC....I was so surprised. It,s so different. In the 12hours ultrarun I was so tired and empty . But my feets where not that bad and I didn't have any pain at all. I also guess that asphalt compared to field track makes a big difference. Fotrally is a hart rate "very low intensive" thing.. Ultra running is for me mostly easy run ....
    Do you know if there is any events like this in US ?

    SvaraRadera
  4. Mr W !
    So nice to hear that you are considering a long walk in 2014. El maco & junior has already promised to deliver at least 40hours next year.....hehe.
    L./.

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar